Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pet Spending Ethics?

As I was getting ready to leave work yesterday, I mentioned to my coworker that I had to take Quinn to the vet in the morning. It looks like her two front teeth might have holes in them right near the gums. :( I will update that story later.

We chatted for a few minutes and I lamented on watching my princess girl get older. I know she has to go over the rainbow bridge someday but we are doing our best to make that time far from now.

Somehow we landed on the topic of spending - probably because I was a little concerned about how much this vet trip would end up costing me. I mentioned that spending on pets is predicted to reach an all time high in 2008. In the billions! My coworker, let’s call her Sandy, said that she thought it was a shame how much people spend on their pets when there are so many starving people in the world. She thinks it’s completely wrong that people will spend $1,000 a night on “pet hotels” when that money could do so much good for others.

Hmmm…I tried to find a place charging that much, but as I’ve mentioned my search skills are pretty limited. I did find a couple that charge over $100 a night. A little steep for my budget but not necessarily breaking the bank.

Yes, there are starving people in the world. Very true. However, I always get nervous about trying to tell people how to spend their money. If someone wants to pay $1,000 a night for their little Poopsie to live a life of luxury who am I to tell them that they are wrong or unethical?

Do I think diamond studded collars are a bit much? Sure. But it isn’t my money.

Diamond Dog Collar

I know that “Sandy” thinks that I spend too much on my dogs. But again, it’s my money to do with as I please. If I want to spend $100 or $1,000 a month on dog stuff then that is my right. I don’t feel like I can save everyone in the world who doesn’t have their basic survival needs met. I try to do my part via donations, but no one will solve the world’s problems just by giving their money away. It’s been tried.

What do you think? Do you feel guilty for spending money on your pets?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam is not tolerated and will be deleted.